Jennifer L. Friedman, Esq.
- Commercial Civil Litigation
- Labor and Employment Law
- Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Litigation
- Patent and Trademark Litigation
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution/Mediation
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York
Ms. Friedman is an experienced attorney with broad-based knowledge of many areas of law especially those relating to business entities. She has been first and second chair in federal court litigation involving patent infringement, trademark, trade secret, copyright and breach of contract disputes including in New York, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan. Ms. Friedman obtained a successful jury verdict in a breach of contract action in the first jury trial verdict in the Supreme Court Erie County Commercial Division.
Ms. Friedman was first chair where she obtained summary judgment for defendant on breach of confidentiality agreement in federal litigation involving more than $100 million.
She has actively litigated commercial cases involving, among other things, breach of contract, corporate dissolution, trade secrets, minority shareholder issues, breach of covenants not to compete, breach of confidentiality agreements and breach of fiduciary duty. Ms. Friedman has significant experience in contract drafting and review.
Ms. Friedman has experience litigating and arbitrating complex construction disputes where she has represented owners, contractors and sub-contractors.
Ms. Friedman counsels small and large businesses and provides services on employment related matters. She provides counseling and advice on personnel issues, drafts and revises employee handbooks and policies and conducts internal investigations. She represents employers on employment discrimination matters including age, sex, race, national origin and disability claims.
Ms. Friedman has extensive experience litigating patent and trademark disputes in various federal courts around the country. Ms. Friedman has authored numerous appellate briefs and has argued in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Ms. Friedman has participated in numerous commercial, intellectual property and labor/employment mediations, arbitrations and settlement negotiations involving multimillion dollar claims. She also provides mediation/alternative dispute resolution services.
Ms. Friedman acts as a volunteer mediator in the Town of Lancaster court when requested by the Court.
Ms. Friedman is also well-versed in matrimonial law especially in complex matters involving business owners.
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Cornell Law Alumni Achievement Award
- Honors: CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Corporate Counsel
- University at Buffalo Law School, Buffalo, New York
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Buffalo Medallion
- Honors: Dean's Achievment Award, Faculty of Art and Letters
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Highest Honors in Legal Studies
- Honors: Highest Honors in English
- Honors: University Presidential Honors Scholar
- Honors: English Honors Program
- Honors: Department Honors in Legal Studies
In the Community
- Garden Walk Buffalo Niagara, Inc., Board of Directors, Member, 2015 to Present
- Lancaster Garden Club, President, 2020 to Present
- Lancaster Garden Club, Past President, 2007 to 2009
- Lancaster Garden Club, Past Vice President, 2009 to 2011
- Lancaster Garden Club, 2005 to Present
- Paws for Love, Pet Therapy Volunteer, 2015 to Present
- SPCA of Erie County, Foster Parent, 2006 to Present
- Girl Scout Leader, 2003 to 2017
- Girl Scout Gold Award Mentor, 2014 to Present
- Girl Scout Green Angel Volunteer Award
- Erie County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, ADR Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, Labor Law Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, Matrimonial Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, Commercial Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- Western District of New York, Local Rules Committee
- Western District of New York, Local Patent Rules Committee
- Federal Circuit Bar Association - Former
- New York State Bar Association - Former